Connecticut Trip - Part 3

Logbook Entry : 00052
April 15th, 2010

It only was a half hour drive from Norwich to East Haddam. And I can saw, it probably was one of the most boring rides ever. There really was nothing to see except a bunch of rocks in the woods. The only good thing about this short trip to East Haddam was, I got a chance to get to know Hunter better. One of the things he had told me was he was a big Red Sox fan. I told him I had never been and he said we would have to go sometime. He said the baseball park is nice and I would have tons of fun. I will have to trust him on that one. I am not a Red Sox fan.
While talking, I had somehow made a wrong turn, which really wasn't a wrong turn as I found out. We ended up at a ferry crossing on the Connecticut River, which someone told me, actually sat just below Gillette Castle. So depending how you look at it, we were sorta kinda but not really at Gillette Castle. But I didn't kid myself and knew I would have to drive back to where I should have gone to start driving in the right direction again. But while we were there, I thought lets get out and look around. Unfortunately, the ferry was not running today. I guess it doesn't run on Sundays. The ride across for our car would have been $2.00. I thought it would have been real cool to take a ferry ride across the river, but I guess I will have to come back sometime in the future. Within a few minutes, it was clear that Connecticut had been effected by last months floods. There was an area that was not passable so we couldn't do much exploring of this plot of land. We did walk around beside the river and then sat down for some lunch.

Once lunch was over, we hoped back in the car and drove back to where I missed a turn and continued on to the castle. We found the parking lot and it had seemed that Trexx had not arrived yet. But it was only a short time later that he arrived. We said our hellos and I introduced him to Hunter. Trexx was very kind and polite. He had mentioned that he was unable to sleep last night due to his excitement in meeting me. I knew I had been a big deal lately, but not that big of a deal. Anyhow, we walked the trails to figure out where would would have this race. Once we plotted our course, we got lined up at the starting line, Hunter counted to 3, and we were off. We went through arches, down hills, up hills, across bridges, through tunnels...... and speaking of tunnels. There was this one tunnel that halted things for a couple of minutes. Trexx was scared out of his mind. He did not want to go into this tunnel. I told him if he hadn't gone through this tunnel, we couldn't finish this race and I would win. When we plotted out the course, we hadn't gone through the tunnel. We cut around it. Now I know why. So I managed to convince Trexx to run through the tunnel, and boy did he! I had never seen anyone run that fast in my life. Funny thing was, I didn't find Trexx to be all that fast up until now. But once we made it through the tunnel, I found that I needed to pick up the pace. We were just about neck and neck the whole time although we both lagged behind at times. What really mattered was what happened at the finish line. We were so close, we couldn't tell who won! Hunter and Yorrick were waiting at the finish line and they couldn't figure out who won either! So in the end, the race was a draw. No one lost! All that mattered to us was that we had a chance to get together and have some fun.
We hung out for a little bit longer before we had to part ways. I told Trexx that I really had fun today and I hope we can get together again sometime soon. He was a really nice guy. So Hunter, Yorrick, and I hopped into the car and headed back to Norwich. It was now getting dark and after a busy day, we headed back to the hotel to get some rest. Tomorrow is another day of fun. I can't wait!

0 comments: